This area involves R&D work and advanced technology services concerning characterization of non-destructive materials and diagnostics of construction elements using different technologies. As these techniques are non-invasive in nature, there application is considered for Heritage works owing to their strategic interest. In the field of application concerning Heritage, these technologies are considered within a framework of activities on heritage work developing the historic and artistic lines of assessment.
The use of these new non-destructive methods enables quality control of the product and rapid assessment of the constructive system, using measurements in situ, without damaging the pieces being analysed and their subsequent use.
NON DESTRUCTIVE TESTS
Material inspection for:
- Characterization of elastic and dynamic properties.
- Flaw detection and localisation (physical discontinuities).
- Automatization of processes for non destructive assessment of dimensional stone quality.
ACCOUSTIC AND THERMAL ASPECTS
- Prediction of acoustic levels.
- Development of systems for noise control.
- Thermal properties of construction materials and systems.
- Calculation of insulation levels and thermal transmission properties.
ELECTRONIC MONITORING AND INSTRUMENTATION
- Structural control of Heritage items by continuous monitoring at the implementation stage.
- Mechanical parameters (displacements, vibrations, relative movements, deformations, …..)
- Environmental parameters (ambient temperature, surface temperature, humidity,…)
- Drawing up environmental maps for evaluating the distributions of environmental parameters.
STRUCTURAL DIAGNOSIS AND PATHOLOGY
Pathology studies of construction systems using:
- Static analysis.
- Dynamic analysis.
- Laboratory characterization tests.
- Applying non destructive technologies in the Diagnoses of Built Heritage
STUDY AND MANAGEMENT OF BUILT HERITAGE
- Specific historic studies from a historic-artistic and cultural point of view.
- Studies of historic walls and industrial heritage elements
- Built Heritage Inventory.